Advisement FAQ

Q. What factors are considered in admissions decisions?

A. A variety of factors are used in admissions decision making: specific course performance, academic performance over time, career goals, current major, content and quality of personal essay, etc.

Q. If I apply to the University, do I still need to apply to the College?

A. Yes

Q. What course work must be done before I enter the Bachelor of Health Science program in the Junior year?

A. This link: ( ) will detail all courses that need to be completed.
Q. When must these prerequisites be completed?

A. If you are applying for Summer B admission, all prerequisites must be complete by the end of Spring term. For Fall admission, all prerequisites must be complete by the end of Summer A term.

Q. When is the application deadline?

A. February 1st for Summer B admission; March 1st for Fall.

Q. What if I miss the application deadline?

A. Students who miss the application deadline will be reviewed on a case by case basis but typically the class is filled by students meeting the deadline.

Q. I have AP credit for PSY 2012 and BSC 2010 – can I use those for my prerequisite courses?

A. We will allow you to use AP credit for a maximum of one course. In the example above, if you want to count BSC 2010 AP credit, you would have to take DEP 3053 and CLP 3144 to meet your 6 credits of prerequisite psychology coursework. Keep in mind, if you are applying for the Rehabilitative Services track, you cannot use any AP credit.

Q. Do I have to make a C or better in all of my courses?

A. A minimum grade of C is required for all prerequisite courses, as well as all General Education and Gordon Rule courses. However, you must have a 3.0 overall and prerequisite GPA for all tracks except Rehabilitative Services, which requires a 2.75.

Q. What is the nine hour Summer residency requirement?

A. The nine hour summer residency requirement mandates that all students complete nine credit hours at any State of Florida public university. You can determine whether you’ve met this requirement by looking at your degree audit. Many students automatically meet this requirement by earning 9 or more credit hours of AP, IB, Dual Enrollment, or AICE credit.

Q. Can I fulfill the Summer residency requirement if I take courses at a community college?

A. No, only credits earned at a SUS Florida public university will count toward the nine hour summer requirement.

Q. Am I allowed to take classes at another University or community college?

A. It depends. We encourage all students who are considering taking coursework at another institution to talk with an advisor as some coursework may not be appropriate or may not transfer based on your academic goals. Also, you must have a minimum 2.0 UF GPA to be able to take coursework elsewhere and you must achieve a C or better on transfer coursework. Prerequisites for the Health Science major are typically accepted from community colleges whose coursework is comparable.

Students who wish to do transient work should go to and fill out transient student paperwork there and review it with their advisor.