Ceremony honors former staff member Linda Stallings

Linda Stallings
Linda Stallings at her 2008 retirement dinner.

The College of Public Health Professions held a brick-laying ceremony September 24 outside the HPNP Complex to honor Linda Stallings, former associate director for medical/health administration, who passed away May 29.

Linda’s friends and family, including her husband, Lou Stallings, joined current and former college administrators and colleagues in honoring her contributions to the college, before placing a brick engraved in her honor in front of the college’s entrance.

Before her retirement in 2008, Linda worked alongside every dean in the college’s history during her 36-year career at UF and was involved in many major decisions in the college’s history.

“Linda came to work every day smiling and ready to do the hard tasks,” said Robert G. Frank, Ph.D. dean of the college from 1995 to 2007. “When I became dean, the college was pretty small. She functioned as a one-woman band. She was pretty much our entire HR/Finance/Payroll/IT manager and any other problem that occurred that day. She worked ridiculously long hours. The only disagreement we had was when I insisted she hire others to help her with the work of growing our college.”

Linda was known for her graciousness, warm manner and encyclopedic knowledge of the college and university.

“From even before I started as dean, she was beside me, nudging, reminding, encouraging me to do the right things,” Frank said. “Inevitably those things had to do with kindness and caring.”

Read more about Linda’s contributions