Taylor Price named UF Outstanding New Advisor

Taylor PriceFor her efforts to ensure student success in the college’s undergraduate program in communication sciences and disorders, UF’s Office of Undergraduate Affairs has named Taylor Price the 2017-2018 Outstanding New Advisor.

As the academic program specialist in the department of speech, language, and hearing sciences since July 2016, Price advises 170 on-campus and online students in the Bachelor of Health Science in Communication Sciences and Disorders program, from application through graduation.

Nominators said Price has an open-door policy with the students she advises. She continuously monitors students’ progress toward graduation, checking in with them regularly and developing personal relationships.

“Taylor is very concerned that students not only succeed academically but that they also have an engaging, positive UF experience,” a colleague wrote. “Her caring attitude is palpable, and she serves as a highly effective communication agent to ensure students are succeeding both academically and in navigating their overall college experience.”

One student said that Price helped her organize her double-major schedule while helping her work out a way to study abroad, and keep her desired graduation date.

“She never once told me I was asking for too much, but instead encouraged me to dream as big as I wanted to, and affirmed that she would help me in any way that she could,” the student said. “She has helped me decide each semester what the best class schedule was for me to meet my graduation goals and also to keep my love of learning alive.”

Price has organized “meet and great” sessions for incoming students and implemented mandatory orientation programs, where she provides a step-by-step guide of what to expect as a student in the program. Students report that the orientations diminish the stress of starting a new program, co-workers said.

“Not only has Taylor seemingly transitioned smoothly into this role, but I strongly believe she has elevated it,” a colleague wrote. “She is incredibly student focused — advocating on their behalf while also taking a commonsense approach to student issues. Moreover, she is incredibly efficient and despite sometimes having a litany of responsibilities, will respond immediately and carefully to any task, big or small.”